Last Updated on August 9, 2012 by GrahamWalsh
HDX Room Telepresence – Software Version 3.0.5
The version 3.0.5 software includes the features and functionality of version 3.0.4, with the following additions.
Microsoft® Lync® 2010 Feature Enhancements
- The specific features being added or enhanced are described in the following sections. These features are supported in both Microsoft Lync 2010 server and Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 environments.
Media over TCP
- This feature adds support for processing TCP ICE candidates and then transporting real-time media streams over the TCP connection when UDP sockets are blocked. Calls can now connect in environments where firewall administrators limit access to only TCP ports.
Call Hold, Call Resume
- When an HDX system is registered to a Microsoft Lync server, the HDX system can participate in Lync-hosted multipoint calls. You can now use hold and resume features on the HDX system when it is in certain types of Lync-hosted calls.
Forward Error Correction for Real-Time Video
- HDX system software version 3.0.5 extends Real-Time Video (RTV) support, which minimizes the appearance of visible defects in the video image under conditions where packets are being lost in the network.
DTMF Support in Microsoft Server Environments
- This feature adds support for passing DTMF tones in calls made within a Microsoft server environment.
Long Duration Call Support
- This feature supports call durations up to 24 hours in Microsoft server environments.
RealPresence Mobile – Software Version 1.3
The new software release now allows the HTC S and X phones and JetStream tablet to download and use RealPresence Mobile
Apple iOS new features
- For iPad, version 1.3 provides the following new features:
- Ability to run on the new iPad
- Ability to resume from background
- Support for Firewall/NAT
- Support for Far-End Camera Control
- For iPhone 4S, the user interface is available in the following languages: English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Korean, Japanese, Russian, French, German, and International Spanish.
Firewall/NAT Support – iOS and Android
Version 1.3 provides firewall and NAT (Network Address Translator) traversal ability with the following features:
- Ability to keep RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol) NAT mapping alive during a live streaming.
- Ability to support SRTP (Secure Real-time Transport Protocol) and TLS (Transport Layer Security) for the secure transmission of media.
- Ability to support BFCP (Binary Floor Control Protocol) over a UDP link.
- Control signaling can now be forwarded using the best-effort traffic class in firewall and NAT traversal.
- Support following dial strings when you place calls without registering to any server:
H.323 – <;name>;@<;ip: port>;, <;name>;@<;domain>;, <;name>;@<;hostname:port>;
SIP – <;name>;@<;domain>;, IP##ConfID, Hostname##ConfID, Domain##ConfID
- Ability to verify server certificates by using installed root certificates (SIP, HTTPS, and LDAP) when establishing TLS connections.
- Ability to interoperate with ACME SBC (Session Border Controller) systems.
- Support for SIP signaling FW/NAT traversal over TCP/TLS as defined in RFC5626.
- Ability to switch to a backup SIP server in case the primary server fails
Far-End Camera Control Support (iOS only)
- In a point-to-point call, you are able to pan, tilt, and zoom the far-end PTZ camera, if the far-end system is configured to allow control.
Working with Content
- When you are registered to a provisioning server, your RealPresence Mobile application allows you to view content sent by others in the call. The people video and the content you receive appear in separate windows. You can switch among the people video and content windows. If you use iPad 2 and new iPad, you can also show PDF files to your far sites.
RSS4000 – Software Version 8.0
New HTML Viewer Portal
- You can now view live streamed and on-demand video on a new system portal. This new user portal can be accessed from most PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets.
- Authorized users can schedule and create meeting recordings and live meeting streams from this new Viewer portal.
Streaming Live Meetings and On-Demand Meeting Archives Using External Servers
- You can now stream live meetings (MCU calls) or point to point calls (endpoint to RSS) in single bit-rate MP4 format to leading 3rd party media servers, such as Wowza, QuickTime Streaming Server, and IIS-7 Media Service (smoothly streaming only).
- You can also stream on demand meeting archives in several bit-rates in MP4 format to leading media servers such as Wowza, and QuickTime Streaming Server.
- Users can watch these MP4 streams and on demand meeting archives hosted on external media servers from the Admin UI, or from the new Viewer portal.
Streaming Meetings Live in MP4 Format
- You can stream live meetings (MCU calls) or point to point calls (endpoint to RSS) in live, HTTP adaptive bit-rate streams (also known as HLS) MP4 format. These live streams are compatible with most PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets.
Creating New Media Files On-Demand from Existing Archives
- Authorized users can create new media outputs on the fly from existing archives. When creating new outputs, users can change output options such as bit-rate, resolution, and layout.
- The system also provides pre-configured settings for popular mobile devices, for example, iPad and iPhone.
SNMP v3 Support
- The Polycom RSS 4000 version 8.0 now supports SNMP v3 (Simple Network Management Protocol version 3) queries and traps with confidentiality, authentication, and integrity functions conforming to the Polycom common MIB which is also interoperable with Polycom CMA, DMA, and RMX systemsAdministrators can be notified of system alarms by using SNMP traps.
Others new features
- The multicast IP pool is now expanded to 188.8.131.52 – 184.108.40.206, with the port range extended to 1- 65535.
- Ability to send disk low warnings to the specified email address. You can also check the disk space through the Telnet console.
- Ability to batch download all media files available for an archive.
- Customer-specific enhancements, such as configurable MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size, and notifications.
- Meeting template enhancement, allowing users to specify whether to generate WMV video file, to restrict the recording to CIF/SIF resolution, to generate Polycom RealPresence Media Editor presentation files, or to back up all me by using the enhanced meeting template.
- Ability to transfer recordings to one or several FTP servers automatically upon the completion of transcoding.
- Ability to allow users to stop ongoing and queuing transcoding tasks.
- Ability to reserve meeting recordings from the new system portal. By this way, administrators can arrange recordings in advance. Their presence at the meeting is no longer necessary for the recording.
- Ability to allow administrators to skip or cancel hard disk check during system boot using Telnet commands. Hard disk check can also be configured to start in case of system error.
DMA 7000 – Software version 5.0
The Polycom DMA system version 5.0 includes the following new features (portions of these were implemented in v4.0.3). For more information on these new features, see the Polycom DMA 7000 System Operations Guide and the online help.
Application Programming Interface (API)
This release includes the RealPresence Platform API, which provides programmatic access to the Polycom DMA system for the following:
- Conference control and monitoring
- Call control and dial-out
- Billing and usage data retrieval
- Resource availability queries
The API uses XML encoding over HTTPS transport and adheres to Representational State Transfer (REST) architecture.
The RealPresence Platform API is licensed separately for use by third-party client applications.
- An API license isn’t required in order for a Polycom RealPresence Resource Manager system to access the API. It’s only needed for a client application you or a third party develop.
- This release implements an SNMP agent providing access to MIBs for the DMA application, CentOS operating system, Java Virtual Machine, and server hardware, enabling your network management system to monitor the Polycom DMA system and receive notifications (traps and informs).
- The system supports SNMPv3 communications with authentication and privacy.
Device authentication enhancements
The Device Authentication page supports the following new functionality:
- Inbound SIP device authentication using the SIP digest authentication mechanism (RFC 3261 and RFC 2617) and locally provisioned credentials.
- Outbound authentication with external SIP peers using the SIP digest authentication mechanism and locally provisioned credentials.
- If inbound authentication is enabled for the system, it can be turned on or off for individual endpoints from the Endpoints page.
Settings for stripping prefixes
- In this version of the Polycom DMA system, external devices that can be prefix services (SIP peers, gatekeepers, SBCs, and MCUs) can be configured to have the prefix stripped when a call that includes a prefix is routed to the device.
Added functionality regarding external SIP peers
This version of the Polycom DMA system adds the following external SIP peer configuration enhancements:
- Support for SIP digest authentication, with several options for handling both 401 and 407responses.
- Explicit settings for next hop address, destination network (domain), and adding a route header.
- Ability to select from several preconfigured To header and Request-URI formats or specify custom formats.
- Ability to specify Request-URI and optional other headers for outbound registration.
Other SIP enhancements
Support has been added for the following:
- DNS SRV failover (RFC 3263)
- Refer (RFC 3515) (for blind transfer only)
- External endpoint registration and keep-alive timer (RFC 5626) (TCP only, not UDP)
- Loop/spiral detection and support for Max-Forwards and Max-Breadth headers (RFC 5393)
Enhanced ITP support
- This release supports the new naming convention for the individual endpoints making up an Interactive Telepresence (ITP system) and provides bandwidth management for ITP calls.
Active Directory integration improvements
- The Microsoft Active Directory integration feature was modified to improve performance and scalability, significantly reducing the time needed to integrate to AD, re-synchronize with AD and restart a server that’s integrated with AD.
- The system now supports integrating with ADs containing up to 1,000,000 users and 1,000,000 groups. Up to 10,000 groups may be imported.
Database performance improvements
- Internal LDAP database performance was increased overall. This improves all LDAP-based operations, including bandwidth management, call rate, registration rate, supercluster operations (join, leave, and data replication), and AD integration.
Ability to select multiple endpoints on Endpoints page
- Multi-select makes it possible to block, quarantine, or delete multiple devices at a time and to edit specific settings for multiple devices at a time.
- This version of the Polycom DMA system can be configured to forward selected log entries to a central log management server.
New predefined variable for registration policy scripts
- The new EP_VERSION variable (the endpoint software version number) makes it possible to test for version compliance in a registration policy script.
RMX – Software Version 7.7
The following lists changes to existing features in Version 7.7.
Partners POCN – Collaboration with Microsoft and Cisco
- The POCN solution, enables Polycom, Microsoft and Cisco users, each within their own environment, to participate in the same conference running on an RMX.
NAT (Network Address Translation) Traversal
- NAT Traversal is a set of techniques enabling participants behind firewalls to use Session Border Controllers (SBC) to connect to conferences, hosted on the RMX, remotely using the internet.
BFCP Over UDP
- BFCP over UDP improves interoperability with SIP Clients that share Content using this protocol.
Mute Participants Except Lecturer
- All participants in the conference except for the lecturer can be automatically muted upon connection to the conference, preventing interruption of the lecture, accidentally or by participants with noisy connections.
Network Quality Indication
- A Network Quality Indicator is displayed for each participant in the CP layout indicating the quality of the participants’ video channels.
System Flag – SIP RTCP Flow Control
- You can modify the TMMBR parameter (Temporary Maximum Media Stream Bit Rate) by adding the following flags: RTCP_FLOW_CONTROL_TMMBR_ENABLE Enables/disables the SIP RTCP flow control parameter. Default: YES. RTCP_FLOW_CONTROL_TMMBR_INTERVAL. System Flag and setting its value as required. Range: 5 – 999 (seconds) Default: 180
- Microsoft RTV FEC (Forward Error Correction) is supported in the RMX to control and correct packet loss when receiving and sending video streams using the Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software.
ICE Over TCP
- When ICE over UDP is blocked in the firewall UDP port, the ICE connection through the TCP protocol is automatically used instead of UDP.
Media Over TCP
- Media is automatically transmitted using TCP when UDP, the default transport protocol, is not available.
Presence – Busy
- In addition to Meeting Room presence modes, Offline and Available, RMX Meeting Rooms for Microsoft Lync clients now support the Busy presence mode.
Cascade – RMX Meeting room / Microsoft A/V MCU
- Microsoft Lync users can connect an RMX Meeting Room to a conference running on the Microsoft A/V MCU.
- The RMX can automatically recover from short duration network errors (5 seconds), enabling calls in Microsoft Lync to continue video or audio conferences without disconnecting.
SIP Dialogue Recovery
- The RMX can automatically recover from SIP dialog failures, which can occur in long duration calls to Meeting Rooms when using the Microsoft Lync client.
Acme Packet Interop – Software Version 6.3
The Polycom solutions are now compatible with the Acme Packet Net-Net ESD Environment. The following products are supported: RealPresence Resource Manager 7.0, DMA7000 5.0, RSS4000 8.0, RMX MCU 7.7, HDX Room systems 3.0.5 and RealPresence Mobile 1.3
VBP Series – Software Version 11.2.12
The Polycom VBP system version 11.2.12 is a full all platforms release that resolves customer issues found in the field.
- H.323 Whitelist/Black feature modification.
- FQDN support for VBP-E LAN-side gatekeeper mode